SellwithWP was created to address specific eCommerce questions that were coming from many users to SkyVerge.
Early Plugins were developed from running an eCommerce business through SkyVerge.
Career Transition to a nomadic worker
- You need to be good at being a remote worker.
- There are many challenges from working alone.
- Sometimes it helps to move to other locations to get work done.
- The other location practice can lead to a set routine that will help you become more productive.
- Working in different time zones can be a real challenge. You will be more successful when you manage these time zones effectively.
- Many customization requests were built as plugins and rolled out to the community.
- Plugins made it easy to expand the functionality of WooCommerce.
- When Automattic purchased WooCommerce they realized that it was beneficial if a user’s eCommerce store fit a basic setup.
- It is easy to customize WooCommerce and can be a large project to maintain.
- Registration based membership has been added to the newest release of WooCommerce.
- Make sure that the pricing for the plugin will be in line with the benefit that will be realized by the customer.
- Pricing plugins has been a challenge and art.
- The plugin pricing is often tiered with the WooCommerce team.
- The development is being done as customization requests are coming in from WooCommerce users.
- Smaller plugins try to follow a formula from requests coming from WooIdeas and what competitors are doing.
- You need to analyze what the support maintenance burden will be on the plugin release.
- Look for a mentor in WooCommerce development
- WooCommerce slack channel
- Review Plugins
Where Could WooCommerce be headed?
- Sites need to be optimized for Mobile. Many purchases are being done from mobile phones.
- Selling needs to be via multiple channels. (ex: buyable pins. Selling through Pinterest using a pin for products and then to WooCommerce).
- REST API continues to open up WordPress to all developers. This will allow the opensource to reach a large audience of WordPress users outside of WooCommerce
Important Links from this Episode