- The WP Innovator podcast is targeted for Web designers and agencies.
- Lee Jackson started the business by building a WordPress multi-site for event organizers then expanded the digital wing of a print design agency.
- 20% of WP Innovator’s business is local.
Success in Web Services
- WP Innovator acts as an agency for other agencies building the WordPress plugins that they need.
- Often the contract is already established between the agency and the client where they can bring in a consultant to bridge the technical gap.
- Non compete agreements are established between WP Innovator and the agency so that they will not approach clients directly.
- You can find your clients through old fashioned networking and social media.
- Constant research is being done on agencies and reaching out to them to begin to build a relationship with a 20 second video.
- Commit to several local networking groups and go in with the intention to have a good laugh and find friends.
- Connect with the people you meet through social media.
- Make sure you can explain your story without mentioning WordPress.
- Have a really clear message that you want to communicate in a 60 second snippet where you can describe a problem that you can solve and how you can solve that problem for a customer.
- Massive cold calling or e-mailing was not successful for Lee while building his network.
- When you are hiring your first employee it is more important that the person has an inquisitive mind rather than a specific known skill.
Lee’s Tools for Podcasting
- The Podcast funnels back into the business by providing information and services to listeners.
Process for Recording to Share with the audience:
Record with Skype – Records both channels to confirm that they are balanced
Audacity – may clean up questions by re-recording and splicing
Simple Podcast Press
Canva – used to create a pretty image
Meet Edgar is used to build a library of Tweets and pull in RSS feeds
Important Links from this Episode