This week I’ve got Lee Jackson, host of the WP Innovator podcast, a WordPress podcast for design and web agencies. Lee is the lead dev and director of his own agency and we’ll be chatting about what it takes to be successful in web services.
- The WP Innovator podcast is targeted for Web designers and agencies.
- Lee Jackson started the business by building a WordPress multi-site for event organizers then expanded the digital wing of a print design agency.
- 20% of WP Innovator’s business is local.
Success in Web Services
- WP Innovator acts as an agency for other agencies building the WordPress plugins that they need.
- Often the contract is already established between the agency and the client where they can bring in a consultant to bridge the technical gap.
- Non compete agreements are established between WP Innovator and the agency so that they will not approach clients directly.
- You can find your clients through old fashioned networking and social media.
- Constant research is being done on agencies and reaching out to them to begin to build a relationship with a 20 second video.
- Commit to several local networking groups and go in with the intention to have a good laugh and find friends.
- Connect with the people you meet through social media.
- Make sure you can explain your story without mentioning WordPress.
- Have a really clear message that you want to communicate in a 60 second snippet where you can describe a problem that you can solve and how you can solve that problem for a customer.
- Massive cold calling or e-mailing was not successful for Lee while building his network.
- When you are hiring your first employee it is more important that the person has an inquisitive mind rather than a specific known skill.
Lee’s Tools for Podcasting
- The Podcast funnels back into the business by providing information and services to listeners.
Process for Recording to Share with the audience:
Record with Skype – Records both channels to confirm that they are balanced
Audacity – may clean up questions by re-recording and splicing
Simple Podcast Press
Canva – used to create a pretty image
Meet Edgar is used to build a library of Tweets and pull in RSS feeds
Important Links from this Episode