This week I was joined by guests Rebecca Gill from Web Savvy Marketing and Diane Kinney of The Versatility Group, two women in the Genesis community with extensive experience in business consulting, marketing, and design. We had some great discussions on project management, workflow tools, cupcakes, and so much more – don’t miss the replay below!
What We Talked About
General Business & Discussion
- Can you please talk about the winning agent site, the business model and how it’s going?
- What software/tools do you all use in your workflow? Code Editor, Project Management, Invoicing, etc…
- I’m curious about how y’all feel about Yoast’s hostility to website sliders?
- What is your best approach/plugin for creating modular content?
- Do you filter potential clients by a ballpark or minimum price?
- Is there a way to sponsor this show?
- Is the time change permanent?
- Out of curiosity, how did each of you get started with web design?
- How do you manage code snippets?
- Do you need a premium Github account for private posting?
Genesis Framework, Themes, and Plugins
- What is the difference between the Genesis Design Palette Pro and Genesis Extender?
- How do you deal with automatically optimizing images that clients upload to their site? Do you use a plugin?
- Have you incorporated private page login in Winning Agent Theme?
- I’ve heard that some of the img compression plugins are resource hogs?
- Say I want to create a directory site with listings of small businesses in my industry niche, based on WordPress. Is there a one size fits all plugin for this?
- When you create client sites, do you also customize the login screen?
- Where do you see the future of Genesis Designs?
- How much do you use editor-styles to customize the page editor for custom sites?
Show Notes & Links
- Genesis Title Toggle plugin by Bill Erickson
- Enable Media Replace plugin to replace a file already in your media library
- Genesis Style Trump plugin
- Genesis Design Palette Pro for code-free style edits to your theme (try out the demo)
- Genesis Extender plugin for quick home page templates, adding widgets, code, custom styles, and more.
- Imsanity plugin to automatically resize huge image uploads
- Smushit plugin to reduce image file sizes and improve performance
- Store Locator map-based directory plugin
- WP Types & Views plugin to manage post types and custom templates
- Restrict Content Pro plugin to control access to content
- Advanced Custom Fields
- Posts 2 Posts plugin to create relationships between posts, pages, custom post types, users.
Apps & Business Tools
- GistBox app for managing Github code snippets
- Github repositories and code snippets
- Bitbucket has free private repositories
- Basecamp for managing projects tasks and communication
- Asana for project management
- Trello for task organization
- PHPstorm IDE (integrated development environment)
- DropBox file storage and sharing
- Freshbooks cloud accounting and invoicing tool
- Bidsketch for writing/generating quotes
- Blinksale online invoicing tool
- Zapier connecting and automating web apps
- WP Site Care for WordPress support maintenance
- Tips for hiring your next web developer by Chris Lema
- Customizing the WordPress Login page from the WP Codex
- The Five Minute Guide to Add Editor Style by Carrie Dils
- Our themes don’t have sliders… Because sliders suck. by Yoast
- Why We Love the $500 Client by Ryan Sullivan
See you next week!
The next Genesis Office Hours is Thursday, April 3rd at 2pm CST. Stay tuned in here.