In this episode, we’re talking about the business of WordPress with Shay Bocks, author of the famed Foodie theme, and Diane Kinney, agency owner that knows how to float-like-a-butterfly and sting-like-a-bee when it comes to taking care of business and handling large-scale projects.
The #officefm hasthtag on Twitter is alive and well, so thanks to everyone who comments and asks questions using the hashtag – your participation is awesome!
— AngelaWilson (@AngelaWilson) July 31, 2014
Key Discussion Points
Are you running a business? You want to be credible and sound professional. Whether you self-identify as a solopreneur, freelancer, service provider, or whatever… consider what that word means to your potential customer base. Just some interesting food for thought. It made me curious, how do most of the GOH listeners (that’s you!), identify yourselves.
Introducing the GOH Book Club!
Confession: I love books and I love book clubs. I posed the question to GOH listeners a few weeks about the interest level in firing up a book club and have decided to give it a go! Our first book is The Price is Right by Chris Lema, a guru when it comes to understanding the WordPress economy and knowing how to price your products and services. Pick up a copy and we’ll discuss it live on the air with Chris on our September 11, 2014 show. It’s a super short e-book, so it should be a great way to dip our toes into book club waters!
- The Price is Right – Our first GOH book club title!
- DesktopServer – Hands down most awesome tool for spinning up a local WordPress installation
- Deploying WordPress: What’s your Workflow? – article discussing how I use DesktopServer along with other products in my workflow
- Easy Recipe plugin (built-in styles for the Foodie Theme)
- WordCamp DFW on October 4, 2014 – send in a speaker app or just make plans to attend!
- Need a theme audit? Check with Gary Jones or Travis Smith.
- Evernote – Tool for remembering things. I don’t use it, but folks that do swear by it.
- Tomato Timer – Set a timer to get a block of work done
- Garnish – coming soon from Shay Bocks, Garnish is an online e-course for customizing and branding your website (geared toward food bloggers, but good for anyone)
- CSScomb – make your code prettier