I had a blast chatting with Jessica and Bri on this week’s Genesis Office Hours. These two women are incredibly sharp, but don’t take themselves too seriously; we had fun discussing everything from affiliate marketing to nacho piles. There was only one “unsavory” moment in the episode, but it just makes the episode that much richer.
Also, I changed up my recording spot this week and would love your opinion on whether you thought the sound quality was an improvement (or if you couldn’t tell a difference!).
Bri’s Marketing Tip: Be a nice and be helpful, whether it’s free or you’re getting paid for it.
Jessica’s Words to Affiliates: If you’re not disclosing links, you’re hurting yourself. If you’re creating valuable content, let your readers thank you by using your affiliate links.
- How Affiliate Programs Work (and Why I Use ‘Em)
- How to Run a Successful Affiliate Campaign Without Being a Douche
- Become a StudioPress Affiliate and Make Money! <- I get a dollar if you become an affiliate through my link. What? HOLLA!
- Options for managing affiliate links: Simple URLS (free), Featherlinks ($6), Redirection (free)
- If you want to create an affiliate program, check out Shareasale or AffiliateWP
Minimalistic Blogging Themes
- Sixteen Nine Theme (running this on my store <-shameless self-promo)
- Minimum Pro Theme
- Ambiance (forgot to mention this on the show, but it’s a simple, beautiful theme that’s great for blogging – I used it to mod out this site)
Jess’s Analytics Picks
Getting Better with Genesis
- WordPress Theme Development – addressing the “why/how” of themeing
- Nick Croft’s Genesis Explained Series
- Anything from Gary Jones
- StudioPress Developer Pro Pack (an investment, but fun to deconstruct StudioPress themes and learn from them)
- Digital Sharecropping: The Most Dangerous Threat to Your Online Marketing – interesting thoughts on where you build your brand
- Turns out there is a wiki entry for “cowboy coding“
- Zapier “Zaps” for QuickBooks