I made it! Ten episodes of Genesis Office Hours in the can. Thank you to everyone who’s watched and participated! I also hit a second milestone this week – 100+ subscribers on the GOH Google+ community! It’s not a numbers game, but it’s encouraging to know folks find the show valuable – it makes the time and effort worthwhile.
Before we dive into show notes, here’s a fun fact this week about the Genesis Framework:
— Nathan Rice (@nathanrice) May 13, 2014
What We Talked About
Support (& Hiring Support Help)
- Susan – what are the most common support issues, user frustrations, etc. that you see? I’m thinking about ways that theme creators could make things less painful for buyers
- Susan, Can developers/designers hire you to give (forum) support if they sell commercial themes?
- Susan, do you have a favorite support application? (zendesk, helpscout, etc.)
- What’s outsourcing support worth?
- What are the three most-frequently-asked questions about Genesis themes?
- What are your tips for hiring help to support themes?
- When you’re providing support for your own theme, it seems it would be hard to judge the line between a reasonable level of support and where the questions cross the line into theme customization service. How do you balance that and keep the customer happy?
- As a designer who hires talented help a lot (especially recently), what are some of the main tips you can give to people who want to hire assistants, or need someone like you…a right hand (wo)man so to speak…?
- Every designer/developer have some genesis tricks. Do you give it away on the forums?
- Susan, do you have an “archive” with ready answers available for returning questions?
- Q: for Susan – Do you want forum users to mark their threads “resolved”?
- How do you know if someone is a legit owner, would asking them to post in the support forum be a way of seeing if they are a legit owner (because they have a password)
- How do you get started setting up your products or services for affiliate marketing/sales?
- Susan – how did you get involved in WordPress?
- Any suggestions for a WP membership plugin that plays nice with Genesis?
- You seem to be getting more comfortable with GOH, how are you feeling about it so far?
- Referrals please? I am looking for a graphic web designer I can partner with who will do a psd layout for clients Custom Site Design
- How do people get on this show, Carrie?
- What do you think is the best model for making the most money — hourly gigs? project based pricing? a mix of both?
- Susan, how do you decide your price. Some themes get more questions than others…
- Would love to hear more about dev process models using github
- Carrie, I have to confess that I’m still struggling to understand how it’s done with Genesis. Filters, actions… where do they go? Which kinds of templates?
Show Notes & Links
Affiliate Marketing Tools
- AffiliateWP for EDD – new plugin by Pippin Williamson (haven’t tried it, but heard great things)
- Affiliates Pro Integration Pack for EDD – plugin by Pippin Williamson and itthinx (not my favorite option, honestly)
- ShareASale – 3rd party affiliate program management (used by StudioPress)
- E-Junkie – 3rd party affiliate program management (used by RocketGenius/Gravity Forms)
- The Best WordPress Membership Plugins – comparison post by Chris Lema
- Editing Your WordPress Site 101 – Some basics before you ever edit your WP site
Learning some dev basics (CSS, PHP, Genesis, WP)
- Udemy.com – web dev tutorials
- Code Academy – web dev tutorials
- 7 Day Free Trial to Lynda.com – PHP, CSS, and WordPress tutorials (and Genesis tuts coming soon :))
- The TADA! Workshop – One-day live workshop with Pretty Darn Cute Designs
Beefing up your Genesis Skills & Developer Resources
- Genesis Explained Series – by Nick Croft
- Genesis People on Github to Follow (a non-exhaustive list!)
- StudioPress Community Forums – go answer some questions! 🙂
- Workflow using Bitbucket & Mina – by Simen Schikulski
- WordPress Template Hierarchy
- StudioPress Resources
- StudioPress Snippets